Nail Growth is a topic that is rarely discussed, and I guess that was why I was a little surprised when I found out how many different factors affect how fast our nails grow.
How Fast do Nails Grow??
- Normal Growth Rate: 0.5 to 1.2mm per week
- Nails grow faster in warmer weather
- Growth is faster in children and slows as we age
- Growth in toe nails is slower than fingernails
- Growth rates among the fingers will vary, for example, the middle finger grows fastest and the thumb the slowest
- Nails grow faster in males
- Nails grow faster in the daytime
- Nails in the dominant hand grow slightly faster than the non-preferred hand
- Nails grow faster during pregnancy
- If a nail is lost through injury it will grow again as long as the matrix is still alive
- A new nail will take several months to grow back to the original size
How to improve the Growth Rate of your Nails
- Maintain a Good Nutrition - Check out Fingernail Health to find out which foods are best for Nail Growth.
- Regularly Buff your Nails – Details on how to buff your nails can be found in both Manicure & Pedicure.
- Avoid Infection – See the Daily Tips in the Toe Nail Care section to learn how to reduce the chances of infection.
- No Smoking - Smoking disturbs the bodies natural functioning. Stop smoking in order to supply enough oxygen and nutrients in the blood to the nails.