Step 1 - Nail Filing
Filing is the fancy technique that can use to shape your nails without using a nail clipper.
What you need is...
- An Emery Board (can be called a nail file) which has a thin wooden board in between rough sides.
- A Dust Brush, only if you have one, otherwise a piece of Gauze.
- Please avoid using a metal file as it can damage the nail.
PreparationBefore we start, let's remove any left over nail polish!
- Take some nail polish remover on a piece of cotton wool and place on the fingernail.
- Hold it for 10 seconds and gently wipe off the nail polish.
- Wipe the corners of the nail as well as underneath the nail.
- Hold the emery board lightly with your thumb, index finger and middle finger. Do not hold it tightly.
- Always keep the emery board at a 45 degree angle (which differs from Pedicure)
- Start filing the free edge in one direction only, keeping the emery board at a 45 degree angle.
- Remove dust with a dust brush or a piece of gauze once you've achieved the shape you like.
- File down the free edge, moving the emery board in one direction only.
- Once you have achieved the length you like, file to straighten the sides of the free edge.
- File to make the top corners of the free edge slightly round to remove sharp corners.